So we are officially half way through February 2018 and so far I am having a really successful reading/ writing month. This year has really started off with a bang with me and I am so happy.
This month I set myself two goals:
- Read 10 books
- Outline and draft 2 short stories
Now I can already state that I have completed my reading goal, I have currently read 13 books so far this month:
- Theft of Swords by Michael J Sullivan
- Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan
- Winter by Marissa Meyer
- Magisterium: The Silver Mask by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare
- My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Jodi Meadows and Brodi Ashton
- A Gathering of Shadows by V.E Schwab
- Summer Shadows by Joss Stirling
- The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks
- The Crown’s Fate by Evelyn Skye
- Shadowsong by S. Jae-Jones
- Frozen Tides by Morgan Rhodes
- Fireblood by Elly Blake
- The School for Good and Evil: The Last Ever After by Soman Chainani
This is almost a book a day, and only one of these I had started before the start of February (The Last Ever After). I am really proud to say that so far this month I have read a total of 6416 pages, averaging just under 500 pages per book; which is the same as what I read in the entirety of January.
Out of these, I listened to two audiobooks; Winter and Theft of Swords, both of which I found fantastic. I love utilising audiobooks to tackle the bigger books that intimidate me and since both of these books have sat on my tbr pile for quite a while (either since they came out or for over a year), I am really happy to finally get to them.
The only ebook I have read so far this month is Summer Shadows, this is a quick paranormal romance read and I tend to have quite a few of these on my kindle.
My favourite book so far this month is definitely a toss up between My Lady Jane and The Blinding Knife, each of these bought something completely unique. The Blinding knife is a complex and immersive story that you just have to know what happens next, whereas My Lady Jane is a hilarious historical fiction which keeps you giggling from start to finish.
Unfortunately, I did get to my first 2 star read of the year; Shadowsong by S. Jae-Jones was one that I struggled to get through and at the end I questioned why I actually finished it.
On the writing front I am currently working on the outlines of three short stories; each approximately 5-6000 words. I am currently planning all three short stories as I want them to both stand alone from each other, but also be able to work together to tell a larger story.
So, for the rest of the month…
As I am currently on the #SeriesCrakdown Read-a-thon, I am really trying to focus my reading on completing or catching up on some of the series I have started. I am still on my book buying ban so I can only work with the books I currently have.
- A Conjuring of Light by V.E Schwab, to finish the Shades of Magic Trilogy because this is fantastic.
- Magnus Chase and the Ship of the Dead by Rick Riordan, I need to know what happens after the end of Hammer of Thor.
- A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas, I am currently listening to this on audiobook and am loving it.
- Clockwork Prince and Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare, I need to stop procrastinating and get this series finished.
- War of the Cards by Colleen Oakes, to finish the Queen of hearts Trilogy.
- Crystal Storm by Morgan Rhodes, I need to know what happens next, and be prepared for the final book being released this year!
- Glimpses by a collaboration of authors, my current short story collection I am working through, introducing a lot of new and upcoming fantasy authors.
I know that I am setting the bar quite high for this month, and honestly, if I don’t get any more books finished I will be happy with the amount I have completed. I am well ahead of where I need to be to complete my 100 book reading goal for the year and hopefully this will continue for a few more months before I burn out or hit a reading slump.
Overall, extremely happy with this month. I cannot wait to let you guys know how I finish the month up. Hopefully with a lot more writing!
Let me know how your month is going so far, in the comments below!