I know I am a little late, but thanks to Zezee I found out about the Pokémon read-a-thon! This is a 3 week read-a-thon that does overlap with the Bout of Books 17.0 (so I shall see what books I can use for these challenges!). Okay, it did start on the 14th but it does continue to the 4th September. Below, is a copy of all of the challenges from their creator (read at midnight); first I will consider the books for the challenges and then there are bonus points!
There are 8 reading challenges within this read-a-thon, based on the 8 gyms that are in the Indigo League. Earn a badge every time you complete a book!
- Pewter Gym: The First Book In A Series
This Rock-type gym is the first gym Ash and the Pokemon player ever encounters. Finish this challenge to win a Boulder Badge.
- Cerulean Gym: A Book That Might Make You Cry
This Water-type gym has a badge that looks like a droplet of your tear, so read a book that will rip your heart out. Finish this challenge to win a Cascade Badge.
- Vermillion Gym: A Book With Thunderous Hype
Vermillion City is the home to Lt. Surge and his many Electric-type Pokemon. For this challenge, read a book that’s been hyped all over bestseller’s list and the internet. Finish this challenge to win a Thunder Badge.
- Celadon Gym: A Book That Focuses on Diversity
Celadon Gym is one of my favourites, because of it’s colourful Grass-type aesthetics. Read a diverse book and you will earn yourself a Rainbow Badge.
- Fuschia Gym: A Book With A Great Romance
I’ve always been confused by the fact that a Poison-type gym has a heart-shaped badge. Can someone explain please. Read a book that features romance prominently and earn a Soul Badge.
- Saffron Gym: A Book With Fantasy/Supenatural Elements
Saffron City is where all the Psychic-types hang out, so for this challenge, read a bool with fantasy, magical realism, or paranormal elements. Finish this challenge to win a Marsh Badge.
- Cinnabar Gym: A Book With A Red Cover
Cinnabar Island is famous for red earth and Fire-type Pokemon. For this challenge, read a book with a red cover. Complete this challenge to win a Volcano Badge.
- Viridian Gym: A Book With Post-Apocalyptic Setting
The final gym is home to a Team Rocket Leader (OK, if it’s been out 10+ years you can’t cry spoilers) and Ground-type Pokemon. For this challenge, read a book featuring a ruined, post-apocalyptic Earth. Finish this to win yourself an Earth Badge.
So, which books to fit these?
- Half-blood by Jennifer L Armentrout – This is the first book in the Convenent Series!
- Undecided cry-worthy book
- The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan – This whole series has incredible hype and this is one that I am currently working on (started since 14th).
- Court of Fives by Kate Elliot – This book has a diversity during the competition because anyone within the system (caste system) can enter.
- Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare – We all know or have heard about the epic romance involved in this series!
- A Wicked Thing by Rhiannon Thomas – This is a sleeping beauty retelling containing some great fantastical elements.
- Beauty by Robin McKinley – This is mainly white but it does have a beautiful red rose on the cover.
- Ashes by Ilsa Black – This is a dystopian based in the post apocalyptic world, I don’t know much more than that.
So, I said there were bonuses…
- Each participant can choose one Pokemon, and will start with i) 10CP (Combat Power) for a Pokemon that can evolve OR ii) 50CP for a Pokemon that cannot evolved e.g. Lapras.
- For each 10 pages they read during the challenge, their Pokemon will gain +1CP. That’s +10CP per 100 pages!
- For each gym badge/book completed, they will gain an extra +20CP.
- For each review you post of a book you read during the Read-a-Thon period, gain an extra +20CP.
- Each time you tweet under the hashtag #ReadThemAllThon on Twitter, gain +2CP. The maximum number of points you can gain from this is 200.
- Each time you post a photo of your book + a Pokemon (via Pokemon Go camera function) under the hashtag #ReadThemAllThon on Twitter, gain +5CP. The maximum number of points you can earn from this is 100.
- When you are 150CP, your Pokemon can evolve, earning you gain an extra +50CP. If your Pokemon has a third evolutionary form, it can evolve again at 400CP and gain you an extra +50CP.
- If you choose a Magikarp, you can’t evolve until you get to 450CP, but you will gain an extra +120CP when you have a Gyarados. Basically, if you think you can read loads of books, choose a Magikarp.
- Whoever owns the Pokemon with the highest CP in the end, wins the title of Pokemon League Champion and will earn a prize (to be announced), as well as bragging rights (copied from original poster!)
Okay, here’s the plan; I read a tonne and I will be updating on Twitter and on here. This is the perfect time as I am trying to get through as many book before I start my new training!
P.S I chose magikarp because I’m slightly ambitious!
pps. I am sorry for the obscene number of posts today, I was getting some posts ready and scheduled and WordPress has decided to publish them all instead- I am a little more than annoyed right now!