It’s gotten to the end of the month and I have a crazy wrap-up for you, I have read a total of 21 books, which is the most books I have ever read in a month and that is completely due to the back-to-back read-a-thons this month. So, if you have been part of any of the read-a-thons from April, thank you!
I’m not going to lie, I did set myself the aim of completing Camp NaNoWriMo this month, but as uni work piled up and the read-a-thons started flowing, all I wanted to do was read. I managed just over 20,000 words on my NaNo project itself, and a few thousand spread across short story drafts that I have begun working on. I did feel guilty about this, especially as I was extremely pumped to get back into NaNo mode at the start of April; but perhaps it was my stresses and pressures of PhD application that stomped out my writing bug this month, I just know that the moment I started focusing on the documents I needed to make the next step in my career, everything other than reading was put on hold.
Even though I did fail, I do feel that I have made progress in so many other parts of my life, I am back on my weight loss journey and have managed to lose 2lb this month so far. I know that that is not a lot, however I am starting to implement more and eventually I will get to my target weight. I have pushed my career and started a voluntary research assistant post, which has taken more time but the experience is vital if I want to continue with my academic career. I am currently working as part of an FBI research team which is extremely nervous but at the same time exhilarating.
So lets look at the books I have read this month!
I am not going to go through every single book that I have read this month, I have covered them pretty well across all of the wrap-up I have posted for the read-a-thons. I did complete a few books outside of the read-a-thons, they were the complete Benedicts Series, the first three I did read across the read-a-thon but I did complete ‘Misty Falls’ and ‘Angel Dares’ after the read-a-thon madness was over. I absolutely loved this series and would highly recommend for fast paced, cute, action packed, and well developed characters. Joss Stirling outdoes herself with every instalment and I honestly cannot wait for the next!
I did read quite a few retellings this month, including Sisters Red which is a Little Red Riding Hood retelling, a slower paced book but still really enjoyable. I then read Cruel Beauty which was a Beauty and the Beast retelling, however I would arguably say it was more of a twisted Rumplstilkskin retelling and I would highly recommend! However, my absolute favourite retelling of the month was definitely The Shadow Queen which was a Snow White retelling with magic and dragons- guys, go buy this book!
I think if I had to choose my top five reads this month, it would be difficult. I would have to go with:
- Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch- a YA fantasy that has a beautiful world and fabulous characters! I have reviewed the series so far and loved every book!
- Benedicts Series by Joss Stirling- I’m counting all five of these books as one, mainly because they are just over 200 pages each and read so quick that I loved them all. I highly recommend these paranormal romances, and that doesn’t happen very often.
- Poison Study & Magic Study by Maria V Snyder- These are the first two books in a wonderful series, they are fast paced and highly addictive. I have the next five books on my TBR across the next month and cannot wait.
- The Murder Complex by Lindsay Cummings- a fantastic dystopian horror-esque book, again very fast paced with lots of action and great characters, keep an eye out for the review that will be up very soon. Excellent read!
- The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine- an excellent retelling, with so many unique characters, and a plot line that blows you away. So many twists and turns for a short books and honestly, the next books needs to be out- like today.
Overall, I am super happy with the month of April. I know I could have written more this month but I am happy with the progress I made. Although I haven’t made any haul posts specifically, I have picked up a lot of books this month so I think I will be putting myself on a book buying ban for the months of May and June, with the exception of any pre-orders I already have. Mainly because I am running out of room on my three TBR bookcases, I have an excess of 300 books on my TBR pile and I really need to focus on getting that number down. A lot.
I think for May, I will attempt to read a lot of the series I have on my shelf at the moment. I have a lot of half-read series that have a few books to complete. This will be helped along with the #AYearAThon which is series based this month- I am so excited for that. I will be putting up a post of all the books on my TBR bookcases, perhaps a separate page so I can update and show the progress over the next few months. I am aiming on getting it down to around 50 books, so I have a long way to go. I hope you will stick with me through that journey.
So lets see what May has in stall for me, you, and this blog,